“WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Conservative Christian televangelist Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting “intelligent design” and warned them on Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck. “
Here’s the link… http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051110/ts_nm/religion_robertson_dc
Of course, this is silly. And it’s also sad, because since Pat is so high profile, it’s just another mark on Christians, making us look like idiots. As my friend Greg Koukl said recently on his radio apologetics show, “Christianity is already offensive; let’s not make it more so.”
Anyway, this got me thinking… wouldn’t it be fun if this kind of thing actually worked, i.e., we could say it to people and they’d believe us and act accordingly? Wouldn’t it be cool if we could actually get God to strike disaster on people if they bugged us? I can think of several ways this would be useful. We could threaten God’s judgment on…
1. Blockbuster Video when they don’t have anything good in stock;
2. Starbucks when you’re in a hurry and they say, “If you don’t mind waiting, we need to brew a fresh pot;”
3. The producers of “Prison Break” for their plans to stop showing new episodes from December through next May;
4. Church worship teams who don’t tune their guitars;
5. McDonalds for changing their good coffee to their new, gourmet-but-horrible blend;
6. CD manufacturers for making it nearly impossible to open a new CD;
7. That woman in a Honda CRV last week who, while talking and laughing on her cell phone, meandered obliviously around the Shell station parking lot while I was trying to get out, always managing to just happen to get in front of me, and then continued to indiscriminately change lanes on Torrance Blvd so I couldn’t get away from her;
Of course, I’d try to show mercy as well – if any of the above offenders repented, I’d relent and turn away from my anger, to use a Biblical phrase (with the possible exception of #7).
So if you’re reading this Pat Robertson – you’re definitely a wacko, but you have given me some good ideas. Keep up the good work.