After yesterday’s “100 Days” post, I felt I really wasn’t done with the Obama 100 Days thing. However, today’s approach is a little different.
No matter what side of the fence you’re on, I think many people would agree that O’s speech was a little bland. Not that he’s not a great speaker, because he is. I think that possibly just because he’s spoken in public quite a bit since taking office, this speech wasn’t really any new info (except for the hand-washing advice). Bush, on the other hand, didn’t speak in public all that much, which is a good thing because he really sucked at it.
Anyway, here are some recommendations for Obama to consider to spice up his next landmark speech – whether it occurs at the 200-day mark, or 500, or even if he wants to come back next week and do the 100-day thing over again.
1. Bring the new dog. People love dogs, and I for one would love to see what a hypo-allergenic dog looks like. Maybe the dog could learn a Letterman-style Stupid Pet Trick and do it as a crowd warmup;
2. Begin with, “Michelle wanted to be here tonight, but she’s in bed with the flu. Just kidding!”
3. Bring a musical artist. Obama has already, in only approximately 100 days, had several good concerts at the White House. So he knows a lot of good musicians. A little Stevie Wonder wouldn’t hurt. I’m just saying.
4. Speaking of “I’m just saying,” he should throw that phrase in once in a while. It’s become one of my favorites, because it basically allows you to say anything you want, positive or negative, polite or rude, as long as you follow it up with “I’m just saying.” For example, he could say, “Millions of Americans are still without jobs and homes, and more will be lost before this recession is over. I’m just saying.”
5. Make the event a “100 Days BBQ” and have Joe Biden cook. He looks like he would enjoy wearing a “kiss the cook” BBQ apron. He may already have one.
That’s all I’ve got for now.